Our past crazy week.
Things are popping here at Armor Glass despite the coronavirus. In the past WEEK, we:
- adopted an updated New logo that you can’t miss – makes it clear we sell a film that armors glass, not glass.
- We acquired a New automated software program for handling our inquiries, work orders, scheduling – it lets us create and send work orders while tracking how well sales reps are doing and what taxes we owe. It does everything but make coffee, so thankfully it won’t take that job from me! All of it automatically goes to Quickbooks. The paperwork burden was just cut 80% or more. We STARTED training on it today.
Last Tuesday I was sent an email about a large project in another city – they had already done the walkthrough and perhaps they weren’t impressed with who turned up. They must have found us online because they sent us an email invitation to bid, with the bid date extended to give us only a few days to meet it (one week).
With the uncertainty about coronavirus possibly impacting our business, I did not want to pass it up. Besides, we are one of the few companies certified by the manufacturer to install security film and one of fewer still who do it 100% of the time. Not having us bid is almost negligence on their part! Lol.
So I drove for 8 hours Thursday on a beautiful day and got to the project city. Then in the night, the skies opened up as if we are under a nonstop waterfall. It continued all day Friday while I reviewed the project, trying not to get sick for obvious reasons as I had to duck in and out of buildings and get to the open parking lot without drowning.
Visual inspection of the building revealed that it has far more windows than the architect and documents say. Oops. We spent one last night under pounding rain with thunder, lighting and a non-stop assault of cold rain on the RV, with the heater going full blast. We woke up to a chilly wet 41 degrees.
So I drive back 8 hours Saturday after taking dogs for a break in the rain. They were not excited about it but did their business like good little boys, jumped back in the RV, got under their blankets and we rolled back to home base. By the time we hit Texas, the rain had gone and the air was getting warmer and more comfortable. It felt great!
Compiled project size numbers on Sunday. On Monday, double-checked the numbers and completed all paperwork — but could not get a bid bond in time due to coronavirus slowdown; their agents were home and could not access the office system, so I had to send the quote to meet the deadline with a cashiers check for 5% as a guarantee that we can perform (that was first time in 12 years anyone even asked for a bond).
Today it is sunny in Houston and we are working online and the phone as always. Since our crew always works isolated, that isn’t a problem.
Our sales rep team is also self-isolating as recommended, but meeting with potential clients is still OK since it is less than 10 people and no one will be shaking hands. I like the idea of doing the hands folded Namaste greeting for a while. Lol.
Standby for updates. One of our delayed projects is a school, which may remain empty for a month, or more. The world has gone upside down.
But viruses won’t stop burglars and the next round of hurricane-force winds from jeopardizing peoples’ security. Don’t stay home or leave it without Armor Glass protection.
FYI. Our new logo..